Friday, May 6, 2011

Bedrest and Going Crazy

Since I went into pre-term labor 2 and a half weeks ago, I have been on bedrest. Let me tell you it has been an interesting adventure. It is so hard to lay in bed all the time when you don't feel tired or sick. Poor Erik has had to be my warden and yell at me to get back in bed a million times when I try to do things like take a cup out to the sink, or bend over and pick something up I dropped. It is hard to not do things when I feel physically capable. Thank goodness he cares enough to keep me in line. Of course I have learned the hard way more than once when Erik couldn't catch me in time, that it is a slippery slope I travel.

The first night I was home I just carried a couple items back and forth down the hall and ended up having to go back to the hospital within 4 hours. I have since made at least 3 other visits from doing something that I thought was no big deal. Some of those things have included bending over to put something in a bag, sitting up for too long at the computer, getting dressed, etc. So yeah....this bedrest thing is tough. You feel great one minute and then do something miniscule and the next thing you know you feel like you are going to die.

I have had some rough days the last week. I am just about ready to get this baby out of me. I love him and want to keep him safe, but at the same time I am so sick of feeling like a beached whale and having contractions every day. Thanks to my trusty magic pills(nifediphine) I have been able to stop the contractions though and am still pregnant. It is hard to feel like you are heading into labor all the time though, because it is really uncomfortable and painful. I know that this little baby inside of me is going to be worth it though. I can't wait to meet him.

The upside of bed rest is that I have had a lot of time to bond with my baby without having to worry about the hustle and bustle of daily life. It was hard to end my job so abruptly, but the moments I have had with Eli are worth it. I have gotten to feel his cute little personality and learn more of his sleep and wake patterns. I have also had time to read 3 books on subjects like breastfeeding, hypnobirthing techniques, and sleep helps for new babies. This information will be invaluable in helping me know what to do with him once he is born and make the transition easier. I wouldn't have had time otherwise since I was working full time.

Eli is so spunky. He is going to be my little ball of energy. Despite what we have gone through he is still super healthy and none of this has seemed to phase him. He has a strong heartbeat every time they monitor him, and he is constantly kicking the monitors off my stomach so they have to readjust them every ten minutes. This is comforting to me because it means he has good reflexes and he can react to what he perceives as noxious stimuli. He also loves to move to music that has a good beat. Every time I put on something dancy he will start moving around, and sometimes kicks to the beat. He is so going to be a dancer:) I love this little baby and can't wait to meet him and get to know him.

No comments: