Sunday, October 8, 2017

2015 Year of the Ironman

So a ton has happened since I last posted.  I will just make a post about the high lights to catch up.  In 2015 I did my first Ironman.  Training with 3 small children is no easy task.  The twins were one, and Eli was 3 when I started training. I got up early every morning and trained for 2.5-3 hours and did long training days on Saturdays in between work to get ready.  During the last 2 months my training volume increased a lot.  On Saturday, I would ride my bike 25 miles to work, see my patients for 4-6 hours, ride my bike back to Lehi and then ride another 20 or so miles around the lake and home, then run for an hour on the Jordan River Parkway by my house.  I would walk back into my house about 9pm.  My husband was a saint and would watch the kids all day so I could do this.

I did Ironman St. George 70.3 as my first half Ironman in May to get ready for my full.  That was a really tough race and super hot.   I also had a case of low Iron 3 weeks prior to the race that interrupted my training,  so I was really proud that I was able to finish.

I  did the Vineman in California as my full on July 28, 2015.  I unfortunately got really sick the week of my race and showed up to the start line with a raging case of bronchitis and a sinus infection.  I made it through the 2.4 mile swim fine, and got through the 112 miles of the bike barely, but just missed the cut off by a few minutes for the marathon.  I just took too long on the bike blowing my nose and stopping to catch my breath.  I was devastated at the time not being allowed to finish, but in hindsight it was for the best.  I know now that there is no shame in my DNF.  I was really sick and made it really far for a girl who couldn't breath.  It was no reflection on my ability, it was just an unfortunate circumstance.  I decided to get off my pity pot and sign up for another Ironman.

Three weeks later, I did the Toughman Utah Half Ironman, and then 6 weeks after that, I finished the Bear Lake Full on September 19, 2015 and became an Ironman.  Here are the pictures from my journey.

Ironman St. George 70.3 May 2, 2015















Vineman

I will post my pictures when I can find them.

The Toughman Utah Half Ironman
















Bear Lake Ironman










































No comments: